The Prospective Candidates
The Chinese schools that sponsor this program actively seek a diverse cross-section of American teachers that represent the cultural diversity of America. If you possess the following qualities, you are welcome to apply for this unique program:
- Applicants who are in excellent physical condition for large amount of walking and stair-climbing on most days of the program, as well as in hot and humid weather.
- Applicants who have the ability to adapt to changes in routine.
- Applicants who have cheerful and positive disposition.
- Applicants who have excellent work ethics.
- Applicants who have enthusiasm for teaching.
- Applicants who have excellent classroom management.
- Applicants who have the ability to maintain students actively engaged in the lesson.
- Applicants who appreciate and respect the Chinese culture.
- Applicants who keep an open mind in general about a culture that is different from their own culture.
The three-week activity-filled program is NOT recommended for the following applicants:
- Applicants with medical or mental concerns that wil interfere with their ability to teach or function in this fast paced intense program.
- Applicants who cannot handle lots of walking and climbing multiple flights of stairs several times a day.
- Applicants who cannot tolerate extreme heat (in high 90s) and humidity (in high 90%).
- Applicants who have respiratory issues.
- Applicants who have any type of dietary restriction, and/or allergies to corn starch, soy based products, monosodium glutamate (MSG), peanut, gluten, and/or have problems eating Chinese food for a month.
- Applicants who cannot deal with using the squat – style toilets.
- Applicants who are not flexible enough to handle changes in routine or only expect things to be the way at home.
- Applicants who have alcohol/drug abuse.
Note: The Chinese schools have ZERO Tolerance for excessive alcoholic consumption that interferes with a teacher’s ability to function normally and perform well in teaching. Drug abuse is illegal in China.
U.S. Residency & Native English Speakers
- Applicants must be residents currently living in the US when applying for the program and prior to flight departure from the US.
- All candidates are required to have high proficiency in English needed by the Chinese schools that sponsor the program.
-Selection priority is given to the experienced teachers who are currently teaching or who have had years of teaching experience in K – 12 ESL, K – 12 foreign languages, or K – 8 English language arts.